Collins Radio Restoration The Gator Amateur Radio Club has a long and storied history. The W4DFU amateur radio station was established in 1934 and is one of the oldest clubs in the country.
Dr. Marvin Moss, W4UXJ,
above at the W4DFU controls using our Collins equipment Circa 1957
In the late 1950's our club equipment included Collins radio equipment. This equipment had been long lost but due to the generosity of one of our alumna, personal and similar equipment was donated to the club in 2011. The donor is Jacques Clarke, K4KHQ, of Coral Gables Florida. He is a 1947 Civil Engineering graduate of University of Florida.
View Jacques' QSL cards
These radios had been stored for years and were in need of evaluation and restoration. Our AFGAR (Alumni and Friends of Gator Amateur Radio) board member Adrian Snow, W4PSH, came to our aid and offered to donate his time to fully restore the radios to pristine operating condition. This labor of love had duality of purpose, as a service to the College of Engineering where his son obtained two degrees, and in loving memory of his father who also owned and operated these radios in the 1950's as W4PSH...the Radio Shack of childhood memories.
Thank you to both
Jacques and Adrian for bringing an important
genre of equipment back home to the University of Florida